Monday, March 14, 2016

Swim Sassy: Confession of a plus size swimsuit shopper

This was the year. 


The year that I ALWAYS dread with passion. 
As women, I know you all must feel my pain. 


The dreaded...(insert jaws theme here) Swimsuit Shopping.
AHHHHHH


It is literally a battle against the jaws of life to get me to do anything in a store related to swimwear. For many years, I have been in and out of stores on the verge of a complete temper tamper meltdown like a 3 year old kid who had their lollipop taken from them. 


This year my family sent me on my own to handle swimsuit gate this year. Oh joy! They normally go to prevent me from checking into a mental hospital. I talked to myself as I normally do when going shopping as to prevent me from getting upset when things don't fit, you can't afford that right now, quit looking at the jewelry and get back on plan Haley! That kind of thing. Perfectly normal right?!?!


Because the last time I went bathing suit shopping was such a traumatic experience, I was walking into my first store in the mall like I was walking to my death. 

First stop...JCP (or now JcPenneys or as I have always called it Penneys). When I got to the women's department, I noticed the small section of swim stuff and gulped with fear. I looked at all the other clothes, and granted the courage to get the job done. I started pulling things in random sizes cause I had no clue what was going to happen and didn't want to be back in the dressing room more than I needed to be. (It's dangerous when I am. Trust me.)


Round 1: Suits were OK. Nothing to make me cry but just OK. 


Round 2: First suit I tried on, I saw angels with beams of light and unicorns in the background. 



I am a girl with curves. I have had my fair share of battles with my weight FOREVER. I was in an odd place when I went shopping and thought that shopping for a new suit especially this year in particular was going to really mess with me. But I kicked swimsuit shopping in the butt and showed it who is boss. 

Wanna know how? Check it!

My guide to plus size swim swear shopping
  • Support. Support, Support: Pay close attention to the straps. If you have a suit with well placed straps that give plenty of support. Thin straps are just going to make everything worse. All you will do is worry about what is hanging out and tuck and pull up your suit every time you breathe. You won't feel confident when you are worrying about that. I love halters and spaghetti straps that you can adjust.
  • Play up what you want to play up: If you have great legs, show them. Like your chest?  V necks. Decide one part of your body that you like and play it up. You will feel so much better every time you put on your suit if you like the way your boobs or legs look. Right ladies?
  • Fabric can be your friend.: Stick to tankinis or a one piece. It will elongate your torso and body to make you look long and lean. Keep in mind Swim dresses as an option as it will hide hips and downplay thighs. 
  • Find something that you love about the swimsuit itself: Patterns, cut outs, necklines are all something to look for when shopping. All of those things will make you love your suit and while on help draw attention away from those problem areas. 
  • No matter how tempting it may be, don't try to squeeze into something that is just too small: Nothing is worse than seeing someone in a swimsuit that is just plain too tight. 
 My favorite suits 


Own your bodies and show the swimsuit who is boss! 
A woman with confidence is everything.

1 comment:

  1. I am absolutely loving the multi-colored tankini. I kicked swimsuit shopping's butt this year too! Mission: Find a tankini and a bikini that flatter but don't make me look like I'm a beached whale at 6-8 months pregnant or trying to still be in high school. Mission Accomplished: Kohls! I found a coral halter tankini that was sized just for my expanding chest size as well as a mint colored halter bikini top with the fashionable fringe that was also sized just for my expanding chest size. The bottoms were a whole other story. I hate string and side tie and just don't feel comfortable pregnant in the bikini cut anymore so I opted for a skirt. I fell in love with the cute black skirt that I could pair with either top (saving money hehe) and covered what I wanted to be covered but it was shorter than the swimskirt that my grandma would wear!

    ReplyDelete